So you may ask yourself “What’s Texas Blues – it’s all the same”. Well no – not all Blues are the same just like not all Whiskey is Scotch! Texas blues differs from styles such as Chicago blues in the use of instruments and sounds, especially the heavy use of the guitar. Musicians developed the Texas style by using various types of guitar sounds like southern slide guitar and different melodies of blues and jazz. So who are some of the more well known Texas Blues players – here’s a few to check out listed in no particular order!
- Stevie Ray Vaughn – Everything is great here
- ZZ Top – Tes Hombres is a killer LP
- Freddie King – one of our all-time favorites!
- T-Bone Walker – Foundation music!
- Lightnin’ Hopkins – More foundation music!
- Albert Collins – Just plain bluesy
We found a good Texas Blues lesson over on the TrueFire Blog. Practice these licks and work them into your playing. We like Corey’s lessons – he plays with attitude and explains the style and feel very well. Sign up for a free account and grab the tab that goes along with the video.
Get your mojo working